As I start training this week for my 4th half marathon, I can't decide on a training plan! I need help! The first Half Marathon I did was when I was 20 years old (now I am 29!), the 2nd one was in January. I think I followed Hal Higdon's beginner plan, which was great, but I struggled the last 2 miles...so for my 3rd half in April, I vowed to run my longest long run and did 14 miles. That REALLY helped me, and finishing that half was a lot easier. Both training rounds I only ran 3 days per week, and that seemed to work for me. Since May, I have continued to run, but only averaging 35 miles a month. This go around may be different than the last one.
Here are my issues:
This summer I joined the local Y and have been LOVING all the cross training, and all the classes. Especially Kick Boxing. I look forward to my scheduled 2 classes per week, and don't really want to give those up. I also have been doing a muscle max class once per week, which has greatly improved my strength and I don't want to give that up either. So I found a training plan that rotates running 2 and 3 times per week. That way I can still fit in all my other stuff. I figure that on a lot of the training schedules there are a few "easy 3 milers", I figure that i could substitute those days for my 1 hour kick boxing class. 1 hour of kick boxing is like doing a 5 or 6 miler! Here is the training plan that I found to kind of mold my new training plan. I really like that it incorporates tempo runs, fartlek runs, tempo runs, long run, AND most importantly gives the option of cross training instead of running.
PLEASE tell me what you think!
I was also thinking of concocting a training plan that incorporated smart coach. Hmm...can't decide!
OH, and just so you know....I incorporate 3 days of REST days because 2 of those days I work an 8 hour waitressing day, and I can't imagine running even a mile after a shift. So I really only have 1 REAL REST day per week! ;)
Here are the kiddos @ Disneyland a few weeks ago. My parents were generous enough to take them both for the weekend! They had a blast!


Do you have a time goal too? I think tempo and longer long runs help with that.
ReplyDeleteI'm no expert - I think this plan looks good. You have a mix of easy, speed and long runs. The only thing I notice is that you don't have any cutback weeks for your long runs.
ReplyDeleteLisa, thanks I will look into that!
ReplyDeleteKim, I would love to beat my time from last year! 2:05:04! According to smart coach, if I run my tempo runs at 9:20 to 9:25ish pace & my speed work in the 8:42-8:53 pace. If I do that, then I should beat my time :) We will see if they are right! ;)
very cute and adorable kids...
ReplyDelete